Race report – Motorplex Kermesse 11 August 2018

Young girl on bicycle with pro rider

Claire Hort getting racing tips from Drapac EF’s Theo Yates

Last Saturday the Peel District Cycling Club took over the Kwinana Motorplex for a day of kermesse racing. Kermesse racing originated in Belgium and is traditional run on a circuit between five and ten kilometres in and around a town. It took a little work, but using the return and service roads and pit area of the Motorplex a challenging five kilometre course was created.

First race was the under 13s, on the second lap Guy Pertwee attacked and got a break. Vanessa Baker and Dakota Sime worked together to chase. In the end, Pertwee was too strong and took the solo win. Baker took the sprint for second with Sime third.

D grade started at a frantic pace and by the third lap there was only four of the seven starters left at the front. The attacks continues throughout the six laps, but four riders rounded the final corner together. In the sprint to the line it was Craig Wilson first, Nick Cowie second and Natasha Pertwee third.

The pace was up early in C grade, which saw a couple of riders dropped, the remaining ten riders stayed together for the eleven laps which resulted in a bunch sprint won by Peter Mckiernan, , with Cooper Bates second and Ben Pepper third.

10 cyclists sprinting

Peter Mckiernan sprints to victory in C grade

B grade was a race of attrition, not only due to the pace but also a number of punctures. From twenty starters, only twelve riders completed the required thirteen laps. While there were plenty of attacks and riders getting off the front of the bunch. Nobody managed to stay away as the bunch always chased them down. In the bunch sprint it was Alex Barden first, Brad Hall second and Adam Jones third.

A grade was a fast and frantic race, with riders off the front and the pack chasing hard. Halfway through the race, Thom Perry attacked out of the final corner and got a gap. The next lap saw four riders bridge to Perry. The high attrition rate, meant there was only five riders left to chase. Over the next few laps the leaders worked together to extend their lead, while the number of chasers dwindled. On the final lap Conor Leahy attacked and rode away from the group to take the win. Perry took the sprint for second, with Matt Upton third.