PDCC Training Rides are social in nature. They are designed for the enjoyment of all, and encourage the social aspects of riding in a group. To ensure that the training rides remain very social, each bunch will be appointed a ride leader whose role is to –
- Maintain the speed guidelines of the group.
- Encourage participation of ALL riders.
- Maintain an awareness of the group.
- Be consistent with safety messages.
- Set an example regarding safety.
- If leaders observe unsafe actions, tactfully suggest to the riders to ride safe.
- Maintain a minimum distance (e.g. 300m min) between all groups. At no time, should groups combine or overtake each other. It is the responsibility of the following group to maintain a distance.
- Where a rider punctures, or an accident occurs, the entire group will wait and assist. Ride leaders are responsible for the behaviour of the entire group.
- Ride leaders need to maintain their own fitness and only lead groups they are capable of controlling.
- New riders in a group should have a buddy assigned to them at the start of a ride. This person should be an experienced rider, know the route, and can coach / advise the new rider.
Ride leaders should not always ride at the front of the group, rather control the group and ensure all are OK.