Below is a guide to the grades that compete in club races:
|Grade||Approx. Speed||Crit. Duration||Crit. Approx.||Road Race|
|A||40+ km/h||50 min + 1 lap||33 km||75 km|
|B||38 km/h||45 min + 1 lap||28 km||65 km|
|C||36 km/h||40 min + 1 lap||24 km||55 km|
|D||34 km/h||35 min + 1 lap||20 km||45 km|
|E||32 km/h||20 min + 1 lap||11 km||20/35 km|
Championship points are awarded to A, B, C, and D grades only, as E is a development grade and receives no championship points.
Criterium & Road Race
|No of Riders||8+||7||6||5||4||3||2||1|
12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,2,2, etc and 1 for DNF plus 3, 2, 1 for the fastest 3
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, etc and 1 for DNF plus 3, 2, 1 for the fastest 3
The points earned in weekly races are accumulated in the Rider of the Year competition for each particular series.
Promotion between Grades
- Grades E – D, D – C, C – B and B – A
The club is aiming to keep each participant in each grade competitive with their peer riders. This means that riders who consistently win or place 2nd or 3rd in their grade will be promoted to the next grade.
- Grades A – B, B – C, C – D and D – E
Similarly riders who consistently come in the last three places will if they agree be relegated to a lower grade.
What this means is that there will be a constant promotion and demotion in the grades.
The handicappers reserve the right to override this scheme in the following circumstances
- Riders who prove to be in the wrong grade in the 3 races immediately following promotion/demotion
- Riders returning from prolonged ill health may ride in a lower grade but will earn 2 points in the Rider of the Year competition even if they win or place in the race. The next rider will earn the returning rider’s points.
- New Start Riders will generally be placed no lower than C Grade subject to apparent level of fitness or known ability from other riders. They will be immediately regraded if their performance in the first race they attend identifies an incorrect initial grade.
Each rider will be handicapped according to their ability as shown in the regular race series. The Handicapper’s decision as to each individual rider will be final.