Club Racing Rules
Safety is paramount for the club, we want to ensure that every competitor is as safe as possible. Racing rules will follow the Cycling Australia Technical Regulations for club events. Plus, there are a couple of club rules that will be enforced.
- If you take your hands off the bars during a race, you will be disqualified. This means no celebrations on victories with your hands off the bars, or aero positions where your hands are off the bars. This action will be deemed unsafe, and you will be disqualified from the race.
- The club races with different grades on the course at the same time. If you mix with another grade, or take advantage of another grade in any way, you will be disqualified. At times the races come together at the wrong time. For the safety of all, the slower grade MUST yield to allow the faster grade to pass as quickly as possible. Racing can resume when there is a sufficient gap between grades.
- The club will not condone any unsavoury language or behaviour. Respect of the club officials is expected of all members and visitors. If you do not show the respect deserved of officials, you will be disqualified and asked to leave the race immediately.
Protests are to be made to the race director directly after the race in writing. Any protest will be deliberated on by the race committee on the day, results will not be final until a decision is made. The race committee reserves the right to deliberate on decisions for as long as it takes to review all evidence, and will notify individuals in writing.
The race committee’s decision will be final.
Below is a guide to the grades that compete in club races:
|Grade||Approx. Speed||Crit. Duration||Crit. Approx.||Road Race|
|A||40+ km/h||50 min + 1 lap||33 km||75 km|
|B||38 km/h||45 min + 1 lap||28 km||65 km|
|C||36 km/h||40 min + 1 lap||24 km||55 km|
|D||34 km/h||35 min + 1 lap||20 km||45 km|
|E||32 km/h||20 min + 1 lap||11 km||20/35 km|
Championship points are awarded to A, B, C, and D grades only, as E is a development grade and receives no championship points.
Criterium & Road Race
|No of Riders||8+||7||6||5||4||3||2||1|
12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,2,2, etc and 1 for DNF plus 3, 2, 1 for the fastest 3
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, etc and 1 for DNF plus 3, 2, 1 for the fastest 3
The points earned in weekly races are accumulated in the Rider of the Year competition for each particular series.
Promotion between Grades
- Grades E – D, D – C, C – B and B – A
The club is aiming to keep each participant in each grade competitive with their peer riders. This means that riders who consistently win or place 2nd or 3rd in their grade will be promoted to the next grade.
- Grades A – B, B – C, C – D and D – E
Similarly riders who consistently come in the last three places will if they agree be relegated to a lower grade.
What this means is that there will be a constant promotion and demotion in the grades.
The handicappers reserve the right to override this scheme in the following circumstances
- Riders who prove to be in the wrong grade in the 3 races immediately following promotion/demotion
- Riders returning from prolonged ill health may ride in a lower grade but will earn 2 points in the Rider of the Year competition even if they win or place in the race. The next rider will earn the returning rider’s points.
- New Start Riders will generally be placed no lower than C Grade subject to apparent level of fitness or known ability from other riders. They will be immediately regraded if their performance in the first race they attend identifies an incorrect initial grade.
Each rider will be handicapped according to their ability as shown in the regular race series.